Saturday, December 18, 2010

Friday's Class (At Goan Gymkhana)

It was a lesson like no other that I've attended.

Firstly, thanks go to Piotr Sensei for giving his time, knowledge, and encouraging words. Thanks also go to Mateusz, Martin, and Kasha Sensei. The short moments of interaction during the lesson were awesome; I learnt something new and had fun at the same time. Thank you - I'm very grateful.

Next, congratulations go to those who obtained 5th Kyu during the grading session.

It may seem like a dance (as was mentioned during class), but Aikido has some really practical aspects. This was clearly demonstrated with Kaiten, where a knee strike to the head is the intent.

Dodging Shomen Uchis was another interesting part of class. Don't move backwards and keep focus on all opponents, especially the nearest one. An interesting aspect was trying it with hands behind the back - not easy!

Ikkyo, Kote Gaeshi, Shiho were also covered with many explanations to go with the technique. Issues such as position of the leg with Ikkyo (keep outer leg infront to prevent it from being grabbed, keeping back straight) were taught. With Shiho, Uke's arm can be broken at several stages of the technique. All in all I really appreciated 'the why?'. In short, awesome!

On a final note, my own Aikido experience. I began Aikido mid this year and fondly remember my first lessons. They involved watching Sensei demonstrate a technique then trying the technique myself. It mostly ended up with me forgetting it or doing something totally different. Sitting at the corner of the class watching the seniors perform the moves and wondering whether I'll ever get there. I almost quit after every lesson. With nothing to show other than bruised knees, aching shoulders, hurting elbows, strained toes (I didn't even know this was possible) - why continue? One more step - one more class - giving up is no option. Well, hopefully, I've passed the initial inertia and look forward to the next learning curve and the next Friday class - next year!

Otherwise, I'm glad I met new people, had great times, and wish everyone all the best in their endeavours.

Have a Merry Christmas and Blessed New Year!

No comments: