Thursday, January 6, 2011

First Class in 2011

It was a fairly relaxed first class of the year. We basically went through shiho-nage (from gyaku-hanmi to ai-hanmi; from omote to ura; from katate-dori to morote-dori). The others were kokyu-ho and irimi-nage, both of which we did from gyaku-hanmi.

Weapons class was dedicated to jo practice. And once again, just like in bokken class, new terms and stances were introduced. The 2 that immediately come to mind are jun-ten and gyaku-ten (I hope the wording is correct), which refers to how one holds the jo. I think when thumb faces up that’s gyaku-ten???

Anyway, on a lighter note, the books Mateusz recommended are really insightful. I have gone through several of them and all I can say is wow! (Scroll down to Mateusz’s posts if you have absolutely no idea what I am on about.) My reading habits dwindled right after high school, but if I get more books like these, definitely there is still hope. Never say die, eh? But seriously guys, give it a try…

No comments: