Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday, May 21st 2010

Well, today we had 20 people trying their best at Aikido.

We got more familiar with shomen-uchi attack. Then we added irimmi and tenkan entrance into the attack and then tried to understand contact between partners with shomen-uchi irimi and tenkan.

Please remember - shomen-uchi is from the top of your head. You strike oponent on his forehead trying to cut him into two symmetrical halves. When attacking shomen-uchi please, please, please - keep your elbows down! Do not create any opening!

And then we moved to shomen-uchi kote-gaeshi. Then we tried to approach irimi-nage, but instead full technique we moved to shomen-uchi kiri-otoshi.

Very difficult techniques. But with time and persistence we will be able to grasp them... I hope ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From what I understood, shomen-uchi basically imitates the cutting movement of a sword held right above the head. My first instinct when raising the sword is to open my elbows, effectively creating a very big opening for my opponent. Despite sensei warning us several times not to do this, I still couldn't grasp it. But am working on it now. Shomen-uchi looks really cool, especially when demonstrated with the sword. I want to be able to perform it perfectly within the next few weeks.