Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday's Class

Hello all!

It's Friday once again. Today's class began with a down pour of rain - a welcome blessing, just as the hot weather is.

As the rain poured outside, we got underway with the class. Right after the warm up stretches Sensei gave us a surprise... a mock exam! Basically, we all initially sat in seiza, as pairs were called out to perform various techniques.

If I recall correctly, the techniques for the mock exam were:
  • SuwariWaza AiHanmi ShomenUchi Ikkyo Omote
  • TachiWaza GyakuHanmi KatateDori ShihoNage Omote
  • TachiWaza GyakuHanmi KatateDori Ikkyo Ura

We then practiced (in TachiWaza KatateDori)
  1. GyakuHanmi Ikkyo Omote
  2. AiHanmi Ikkyo Omote & Ura
  3. GyakuHanmi ShihoNage Ura
  4. plus a variation of AiHanmi Ikkyo Omote with an arm lock

Before I forget, we were reminded about the following:
  1. Stances: MigiHanmi (right foot forward) and HidoriHanmi (left foot forward).
  2. Techniques: remain close to tori and don't expose oneself (you could get tickled)

That's a summary of today's class. I'm still recovering from my mock exam results :)

Until next Friday!

1 comment:

daniel said...

For me it was a surprise when I totally froze. I had a brain freeze, you might say. Our task was to demonstrate gyaku-hanmi katate-dori ikkyo ura in tachi-waza. Ha ha, that didn’t happen. Next was gyaku-hanmi katate-dori shiho-nage ura still in tachi-waza. Again it was no go. Since I am quite confident that I now know the names of most techniques, I assumed that this automatically translates to knowing how to perform them. What a shocker!
It was encouraging to hear that every Friday there will be like half an hour dedicated to this thing so that we can get used to it. We’ll see.
Just a note. The 2 stances or kamae(構え) that we were told to note are migi no kamae (右の構え)and hidari no kamae (左の構え), not migi or hidari hanmi. Am not sure what hanmu means, but am sure of kamae.