Sunday, October 17, 2010

Saturday, October 16th at KU

As we finally got to practise on (more or less) tatami I tried to introduce more dynamic aspects of Aikido. We can do Ikkyo to Rokkyo even on wooden floor, here I wanted to do things we can not possibly even try at other places.
Initially we revisited mae-ukemi and seems like the tatami was a real help to all present there. Once you get the concept of ukemi on tatami I hope it will be easier for students to perform ukemi on less forgiving surface. I think a lot of that is in building confidence and once the psychological barrier is gone it should be easier to roll.
We also tried a bit of hard break-falls, which I tried later to introduce to techniques.
The techniques presented were udekime-nage (juji-nage), shiho-nage, kote-gaeshi and various versions of kokyu-nage.

1 comment:

daniel said...

sounds like it was a really cool class as people could go all out. Am just wondering how many survived to tell the tale...