Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Monday, May 7, 2012 session at the Goan Gymkhana

I always look forward to practising Aikido with Sensei since Sensei will never 'sugar coat' any mistakes that I perform and this usually keeps me on my toes and this Monday was one of my favourite sessions since for the first hour and a half or so it was just Sensei and I and boy was I in for a high paced session!

We began by performing some Ukemi(Mae and Ushiro)from both Suwari Waza and Tachi Waza before we embarked on the techniques of the day.

Sensei explained to me a lot of things concerning Aikido and I always appreciate the fact that we are learning Aikido whose lineage comes straight from the source.

The techniques and attacks that were featured include:

-Ryotedori Kokyu Ho.

-Gyaku Hanmi Katatedori Kokyu Ho.

-Shomen Uchi:Yonkyo(Omote,Ura),Irimi Nage(Omote,Ura),Kote Gaeshi(Omote,Ura),Soto Kaiten and Uchi Kaiten nage.

-Ryotedori Kokyu Nage which was a new version and it was quite confusing for me at first but I guess with more practice I shall be able to decipher it more and more.

One of the points Sensei clarified during a Shomen Uchi attack especially when Tori intends to execute Kote Gaeshi is that it is always safer to step back as opposed to stepping sideways as I am accustomed to doing since Tori quite never knows whether Uke will attack using Shomen Uchi or Yokomen Uchi until the point where the attack is executed and thus if I were to step to the side and Uke comes with a Yokomen Uchi attack,then it will be game over for me.

Great class Sensei!

NEXT SESSION:WEDNESDAY, MAY 9 AT THE GOAN GYMKHANA.

No comments: