Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Why

Sadly,I will be missing Aikido for the third week in a row.Between classes,work,travel and the rain I have had to ferry my Gi back and forth without using it.
And now I understand why Sensei insisted I get one-it makes one feel they belong.

After reading Sensei's post on teaching,I tried to place myself and I think am a cross between the enthusiast and one  'raised on fastfood and facebook are not willing to suffer pain, bruised, blood, perhaps even injuries '

My friends(which also makes me wonder if am of the social students mentioned in November's post
'social guys (think: check this out - I do Aikido')always ask me if I can hold my own in a fight.Of course I don't know,I would run  and as Sensei keeps pointing out,the environment in the dojo is controlled,like the way Uke keeps holding onto Tori's hand.So,whether any of us would be able to execute Kyoku ho,Shiho nage in a bar or an alley is debate.

We were discussing Aikido on our way home sometime last year and how the lessons learnt have nothing to do with the moves,the art.And here's some of them:

1)The first time I heard Sensei instructing not to add my energy to a situation was very puzzling to me-always thought you must react and the only way I knew how was to also add my energy.Withholding energy is the greatest thing Aikido has taught me.And practicing this in real life has empowered me so much.And some of my relationships have improved and others have withered away.Thank God

2)There's always a way out-it doesn't matter what grab or hold Uke attacks with(or even 2/3 Uke).It always(most always) ends with him  on the ground begging for mercy,okay,taping but  you get the point.And lately,when things aren't going well or as expected in my life,I know there's a way out.And just like in the class,I usually have to give it a few tries and soon enough,am on my feet ready for the next round.

3)I can't remember who said that the thing one should fear is fear itself.Before Aikido,the greatest fear in my life was pain-physical pain(Yes,I know I have given birth but that's not pain-they din't have a word for it and labour covers it,about 30% of it but I digress.......
And replaying the Aikido classes in times past,I was very vocal in expressing my pain. Nw am unafraid.And together  with that fear of pain,many of my fears have also disappeared;))))))))))))))))

4)I sometimes to drop by the dojo just to bask in the positive energy there.This is usually after a trying day or week and the minute I step inside the dojo,my batteries get recharged-it's like plugging into a power source.
And this is probably why,no matter how sweaty and long the class is,you still come out humming.

5)I really don't know what am capable of-Aikido and otherwise.I do wonder whether I will learn all the names of all the moves, the exact Iaido steps and the shomen techniques.And am giving myself a chance to find out-in Aikido and otherwise.

6)Jason once told me that there's a bond created between people who sweat together.And am sure in this case he meant those in the dojo together.It's true.The Aikido friendships are maskless,which is refreshing  and especially in Nairobi.

Hopefully,I will be in class nxt Wednesday.And hopefully it'll be jo for the weapons class.I am competent in Sancho 1&2

2 comments:

daniel said...

You are competent in Sansho 1 & 2? Am so jealous! Sarah, we have only done Sansho 1 as far as i remember. Yesterday we revisited it, and as is normal with me, i could only remember the first part. Hope to see you soon!

november said...

I am happy and glad you find so much dth in aikido. It gives sense and meaning to me part as a teacher. Thank you