Friday, November 5, 2010

Friday's Class

Is it just me or is time really moving - it's Friday once again!

Where do I start today? For starters I was late for class, so bear with me if I miss the nitty-gritty details.

Okay... There was Ikkyo from SuwariWaza (from the knees as opposed to standing which is TachiWaza). Both ura and omote versions were covered.

Next came a KataDori (shoulder grab) technique. Not to be confused with KatateDori (wrist grab). Now this technique involved moving the grabbed shoulder backwards away from uke in order to destabilize, then with the other hand and approaching from below the chin, pushing uke's head up and towards the spine.

KoteGaeshi was closely behind. Both the KatateDori GyakuHanmi and AiHanmi versions. One of my favourites of 'Simplicity Rocks!' But that's another story of its own.

What I will call 'Entanglement' aka JujiGarame came last; RyoteDori GyakuHanmi. If KoteGaeshi is simplicity for tori, JujiGarame is 'ouch' for uke. Why? Getting to the point where ones arms are locked in that manner... well, that's 'heat'!

This how it goes, first move to try - Ikkyo. If pushed go Ura mode, if pulled go Omote mode. Had a long day and want something straight to the point - KoteGaeshi. Had one too many, JujiGarame would be nice - just make sure the entangled hands aren't yours :) If you have to fall bend the leg closest to uke but don't fall unless you have to - it helps tori learn and saves you some unnecessary aches.

So, that was today's class - exciting, lively, and fun (at least for me). Until next Friday!

No comments: