Saturday, March 12, 2011

Poland, Review of my first week

Let me start with my worst/painful experience. Do you guys have any memories of someone shouting at you to do something so much until you cried? Well, i almost did on Thursday evening. We have a class for aspiring teachers and this is a tough class. The aim is to push a person to their limits, and trust me i reached mine. We started off slowly with some conditioning exercises, gradually picking up until the point where you get thrown between 2 random guys. Normally ukemi is not a problem, having done so much of it all through the week, but i think i got so tired i couldn't move. And sensei is saying you gotta do a little bit more. Anyway, sensei later explained that the point is for the guys to know when enough is enough because when they are teachers they are going to push their students. Its unfair for a teacher to make a student do what the teacher has never done.

Compared to this, every other lesson during the week fades into insignificance. That is not to say I have no bruises to show for it. I was lucky because a few classes were cancelled, so i got to rest. Nevertheless, waking up every morning is a task. I go to bed very tired, the night passes so fast and suddenly i have to force myself out of bed, even when every inch of me is screaming no, no, don't go! sometimes i try to write or read something and I have not managed to concentrate for more than 5 minutes. The minute I put my head down, i just pass out.

All hope is not lost though. The people are nice and understanding. Everyone is offering some sort of help and by now I feel at home. I have this whole weekend to rest and am gonna do some bit of sight-seeing.

I haven't gone out much, but already I can see that Wroclaw is a well organised place. There is such a huge difference from Kenya. If you thought life in Nairobi is fast and expensive, you got another think coming.

Ok, let me not write a novel now. Just suffice it to say am glad i survived the first week. Everyone has been telling me things will get easier from now, and that is my prayer.

And yeah, whenever possible I will be keeping in touch. You can do the same you know, just get my number from my mum, Mateusz Sensei, reza or Jason.

Take care guys!

2 comments:

Aguta said...

No chance of faking an illness to get a few more hours rest? No?:D well not to worry things will get harder haha! enjoy your weekend you need it. Take care!

Dedy Sutanto said...

I envy you man. Keep us updating. Good to hear from you.