Friday, July 27, 2012

No title

When walking from Upper Hill to the City Centre on Tue after class,we were discussing on the applicability of Aikido techniques in real life.
 The general consensus was that it would be a bit tough,and one would probably resort to instinct and this was put to the test for me yesterday.
I was almost carjacked last night and I ran from the thugs,didn't even have to think about it.What am thankful to Aikido for is the lack of hopelessness.I have been robbed before and I stuggled with that feeling of hopelessness for weeks.
Yesterday I recognized the danger,felt the fear  but it didn't crush me,somewhere in my system I have come to accept that dangerous situations lurk all around me but I don't have to surrender to the fear such situations evoke.Simulating attacks for the last two years is mostly responsible for that.

The Aikido hour on Wednesday proved to us we have a lot to learn,especially continuity,the habit of breaking a move in two/three/four phases seems to be more ingrained in us than we thought.And as Sammy remarked,Ura was especially challenging.Still,we will work on it.

Jo was easier,though I seem to be stuck  in the Tori role.It felt good to be able do Sancho 1 part i&ii flawlessly(almost).
Another challenge is the fact that unlike Bokken,Jo should be done using both hands.Am struggling with the left.

Douglas and Naoki were present in the Tuesday class,we hope to be seeing them more often.

Enjoy your weekend guys,be safe.
P.s-you never told me what title we should use for Jason and Sammy.And Naoki ,hopefully,should he accept Sammy's offer to teach the Tuesday class.


2 comments:

Milk_ said...

Sammy and Jason are to be referred to as "Senpai" or "Sempai", particularly Jason, as he has the Hakama.

If Naoki-san is a 1st dan or higher, then we'll be referring to him as "Sensei" during class. If not, simply asking him is the best solution, as the Japanese have very complicated system for references.

Hope this helps.

Milk_ said...

Sorry to hear about the carjacking, elated to hear how well you handled the situation.